Wednesday, February 9, 2011

In Ilula, February 6-9


Sunday Feb 6

The last several nights we have been without electricity for several hours.  It goes out about dusk or before and comes back on around 11 PM.  I believe these are planned outages.  Tanzania relies on hydroelectric power and without rain, no rivers, no electricity.  So this way they conserve.  All of TZ is in the same time zone, so there is no rolling across the country.  I do not know if all the cities are treated the same, e.g. whether or not Iringa goes out to at the same time Ilula does.  Last night was unusual.  Off at dusk, yes, but off all night.  This is not good at a hospital.  Currently, no pun intended, the hospital generator is offline.  It has been sent to Iringa for repair and should be back in a day or two.  I understand that the hospital will get another electric line to satisfy the growing need for power on campus.  That will be good, but not without emergency back-up.

We watched Jeremy Rifkin on my MacBook, downloaded last spring, if I remember.  It was very interesting, indirectly answering the question, “Why are we here?”  Not the existential question, but just why in Africa doing what we are doing.  It has to do with empathy, but read the book or watch the video on iTunes (Jeremy Rifkin, “The Age of Empathy”).  It is worth an hour. 

One of his over-arching ideas is that we (the world) need to have distributed energy instead of the centralized carbon-based energy sources we have.  Of course that means solar, geothermal, maybe wind in our backyards.  It would solve the problems in the poor countries, since development of a grid could proceed and isolated places like Idunda and even Ilula would be less dependent on the wait for the power grid. 

Sunday

What does a Tanzanian do for fun on a Sunday afternoon?  In general, have no idea.  But I know what we did today.  Kelsey and I skipped rounds this morning because I had promised to take photos and offer a greeting at the 8:30 service.  I have promised that I will take the message back to their partner congregation, Chisago Lakes.  My understanding is that no one from Chisago Lakes has visited Ilula.  They support one student, Felix, a nephew of Pastor Muyenze.  Felix just passed his Form Four.  Many, many students did not, especially at the public schools.  As an aside, a criticism of American teachers teaching here is that students are taught "to the test."  Profs teaching at Tumaini U report the inability of students to think critically, a consequence of teaching to the test.  Sounds like a criticism we hear from teachers at home.

The Ilula Lutheran Church wants their companion to know about them (and visit).  They have plans to enlarge their church and finish the pastor’s residence (100 bags of cement for the house).

But the big deal this Sunday was that their youth choir was having a fundraiser to buy guitars, an amp and a mixer, 2,000,000 Tsh (about $1350 USD).  At 2 PM we went to the District Office, near the hospital and the church for this celebration.  The choir sang many songs and there was a featured guest speaker.  She is a professional singer, I think originally from the church.  Then there was an opportunity to contribute.  After that, an auction for a special cake.  Between the two, I emptied my wallet.  I still didn’t win the cake.  (Don’t worry Sweetheart, there wasn’t that much in my wallet at the time.)  The woman who did win, Rita, a nurse at the hospital, donated it to the party and everyone had a little taste. 

We were served lunch.  This is the way in Tanzania.  By about 6 PM, the party was over.  Our caterer, Anna, found a locked door at lunchtime since we were gone, which meant she had to make a second trip, which she did without complaint.  I know she likes us, but she is gracious to a fault!

Tomorrow we have visitors from BKB so we will accompany these wazungu to Image school.

Monday

I have a haunting image to share.  But I have decided not to upload the photo of a baby with end-stage HIV.  The mom brought the baby to clinic with profound malnutrition and deadly dehydration.  If the baby has HIV, so does the mother.  The infection may be passed in utero, but also in mother’s milk.  So she needs drugs during pregnancy and after if possible, if the baby is to survive.  Sharing the photo would be an effort to bring to you the reality of this devastating disease, but you will need to take my word for it on this one.  The infant died about two hours after admission to the hospital.  Can you imagine the anguish of the parents?  First the emaciation, then profound suffering and finally death.

On a happy note, the wazungu arrived.  The first stop is always the administrator’s office for a history of Ilula District Hospital.  Dr. Mango is always gracious and hospitable.  Next I got to lead a tour of the hospital campus.  Despite being a small group, I gave them the full load. Pastor Marty Ericson had several along from Como Park Lutheran and others from Immanuel or friends of Immanuel: Dick, Jim, Barb, Phyllis, Terry, Al and Sue.  I think I got everyone’s first names.  Friends, pole sana about your last names.  (At least two who were planning on coming were rerouted from Cairo to Europe, then back  to the US.)  We had box lunches they were kind enough to bring and Kelsey and I accompanied them to Image School.  Terry stayed with Dr. Saga.  She is a nurse who practices healing touch.

We had great conversation on the bus to and from Image.  They dropped us off and were on their way to River Camp near Iringa for dinner.  Speaking from experience, they will enjoy it!  Thanks for coming to Ilula folks!

Wednesday, February 9

Yesterday it rained all afternoon.  It REALLY rained.  None of this brief little shower business.  The 5 gallon pails the staff collects rainwater in to boil for coffee were filled in minutes.  Of course that’s run-off from a roof, but it rained hard.  The rain is badly needed for the crops.  I am thankful for the rain, but it raises a cognitive dissonance.  If there is rain in Idunda, we may be unable to go.  It is simply too dangerous.  The mountain roads and sheer slopes can swallow a vehicle.  When we were in Idunda in 2006, we had some wet roads and even got stuck on the way home. We simply need to be prepared not to go if they have had rain for three days before or if they have one rainstorm like we had here.  It means the medicines and gifts may have to wait.  The pastor at Idunda called Dr. Saga this morning to report the roads are good, but I am quite sure Dr. Saga was not convinced.  We will see what the weather brings us in the next two days.  Both Kelsey and I would truly miss the opportunity, but there is real danger.

The bishop was here for a meeting yesterday (lasted several hours), but had no need to greet the wazungu.  I think the Bibis (my mom and Nona, the Bibis) were the main reason we had audience with him in 2008.

This morning I delivered a short lecture presentation about Diabetes 1 and 2.  I made the Power Point from memory (I was glad to realize I know some stuff after feeling so lost the past couple weeks).

The Tanzanians were certainly engaged and asked good questions at the end of the talk.  It was very fun.  Today rounds went well with Dr. Sevelo, who is a good teacher and patient with the wazungu.  I delivered a short bedside treatise on a common fungal infection.  I couldn’t help myself.  I finally knew about something!  (Ok, it isn’t quite that bad.)

Early this afternoon, Kelsey and I walked into town.  A woman named Esther, who I thought was all of 16, recognized us and introduced her son of about that age.  For the price of a Coke, they helped us find the makings for guacamole, a recipe I know by heart, but the Tanzanians are unfamiliar with.  It was to be a demo for one person, but now we will invite a few others to try it out.  It will be close to a wazungu party.  An African party would surely include music and dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment