Saturday, January 8, 2011

Packing


Departure is getting close!

Some of the group will meet at my home to pack the extras Sunday evening.  This probably won't take more than an hour. We will have stuff to distribute. I don't expect we will exceed the two-bags-fifty-pounds-each-plus-carry-on limit, but we will have stuff!  I will have a bunch of electronics in my carry on, including an extra laptop Wayne Hayes from Roseville Lutheran is sending with us.

Dr. Gary Moody and half the group are already in Ilula.  Gary has requested us to bring some additional things, like scrub suits.  Scott Lien from Global Health Ministries has graciously offered to pack them and other supplies for Dr. John Kvasnicka to pick up and so, he will be bringing his carry-on and two bags with 50# of scrubs and supplies from GHM. We will redistribute as necessary before check-in at MSP.  Check-in is always an adventure, making sure we are not over the 50# limit.  The first time we went, I think the big bags of M&M Peanuts for Dennis Ngede were pulled from the checked bag and stuffed in Sandy Thibault's carry-on.  Only later did we learn we could have aggregated our group's baggage and avoided the anxiety.

I have a few books, some Hospice kits, some old style “Midwife kits,” now renamed and redesigned as Newborn kits.  I don’t know if we will be able to re-package them as the new form or not.  I may seek some volunteers spontaneously at St. James tomorrow or at the cluster* meeting later in the afternoon.

I have a box of 500 tongue depressors.  (So we won’t have to use the same one over and over like I do in the office.  JUST KIDDING!  I hardly ever do that!)  I have the toothpaste. 

Sounds like I will have a million toothbrushes from St. James too.  One large basket is overflowing now and I expect members to bring more tomorrow!  

We decided to have the confirmation classes write some letters to the 25 students we sponsor at St. James who attend mostly Lutangilo and Pommern Secondary Schools.  Pastor Will took charge of this and it has me nearly in tears to say we already have 85 letters and 25 crayon pictures (from kids too young to write)!  Wow!  

Phil Larsen is going to be at our Adult Ed and Coffee Hour at St. James tomorrow (about 9:45 AM) talking about the Ag Project.  We may pirate just a little time from him to have others write more letters.

Peace!

Ken

*Cluster is a subgroup of churches administratively grouped.  The full cadre of 70 SPAS churches that have Tanzanian companions is divided into five clusters.  Ours meets tomorrow afternoon.


2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading your blog for another Tanzania trip. Just a reminder from those reding from home the greater the frequency the better. Not every post needs to be filled with inspirational buggets, although I assume many will. I am interested in the mundane, and pithy as well. I am wishing safe and adventurous travels for you and your collective. Love you. Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. should have proof read that. "reading" and "nuggets" those were Parker cotributions...she loves the key board 9ok8i9

    ReplyDelete